Searching for the Better Me

My self-confidence had been burdened by my physicality my whole life. At 200+ pounds I felt I never would be happy, loved, pretty, or healthy. Learning to be comfortable in my own body gave me a thicker (and simultaneously thinner) skin. I am learning to deal with my emotions in more constructive ways, and actually do something for myself and my future.

I'm starting to let go of what I thought others were thinking about me, confronting my own insecurities, loving myself more truly than I ever had before, and seeing the real me is somewhere beneath all that excess weighty and emotional baggage.

The mindset change came first. I realized I wasn't happy, I wasn't loving myself, and I was worth more than I was offering myself. Then I turned the situation around.

It had to happen in that order. I'm proud it did, and ready to keep going.

Thursday 25 August 2011

Other Things

Being healthy and happy is not all about losing weight. For me, I think it's more about routine than anything. Consistency.

Since I got here I've made some other changes.

1-I floss my teeth every night.
I'm sick of going to the dentist visit after visit, and hearing "you need to start flossing." I've never had a cavity in my life, but apparently gingivitis is much worse. I hate flossing. It makes me bleed, but I'm told if I did it more I wouldn't bleed so much. So I do it daily.

2-Washing my face
Additionally, I have never been one to wash my face. I don't even get my face wet in the shower unless I'm crying or need to let out some steam. I get the occasional pimple or two, but I've never really considered it a problem. I don't wear makeup, so I don't really have too much to clean off my face. But since I've started washing it, my face seems softer, and even cleaner. I still have those pimples, though.

3-Taking my allergy pills
I have terrible allergies. Honestly, they're really bad. I never think about taking anything for them, though when I'm on top of things I take a Zyrtec before bed and a Claritin when I wake up. I've often said I'd only take these if someone gave me one of those weekly pill cases and filled each day for me. I remember filling these things with my grandma as a kid. Thinking back on that now, I hope she double-checked every day. Because she had a lot of pills in each one and I was really young to be that responsible. Anyway, I invested in my own containers, finally, and have been taking both every day.

4-Drinking Water
I know, this is obvious, right? But I don't think I'm getting enough water in my diet. I should be drinking at least 64 ounces. I have a water bottle that I want to fill and drink 4 of each day. That is my goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment