Searching for the Better Me

My self-confidence had been burdened by my physicality my whole life. At 200+ pounds I felt I never would be happy, loved, pretty, or healthy. Learning to be comfortable in my own body gave me a thicker (and simultaneously thinner) skin. I am learning to deal with my emotions in more constructive ways, and actually do something for myself and my future.

I'm starting to let go of what I thought others were thinking about me, confronting my own insecurities, loving myself more truly than I ever had before, and seeing the real me is somewhere beneath all that excess weighty and emotional baggage.

The mindset change came first. I realized I wasn't happy, I wasn't loving myself, and I was worth more than I was offering myself. Then I turned the situation around.

It had to happen in that order. I'm proud it did, and ready to keep going.

Wednesday 24 August 2011

Getting Informed, Reading, What Works for Me?

In the beginning I just thought I knew what to do. I had to change my ways. Everything I'd been doing all along was wrong if it resulted to me being 200+ lb. So I just ate what I thought was good for me and exercised as much as I thought I needed to. From August to November I'd lost 8 pounds. It was a long and slow process at that point, and I was struggling as it drained me mentally. Then I found a website called caloriecount.com. With that and the exercise I was already doing I brought my weight loss to 15 lb.
Eventually counting calories was seeming to be second nature, but again I didn't see the scale going anywhere.

So I invested in a book. I wanted something with personal stories. Something "Chicken-Soupy"
so I found Chicken Soup for the Healthy Living Soul: Weight Loss Edition it was unfortunately a very quick read. So I began journaling. And I decided I'd read each entry 100 days after I wrote it to remind myself of my struggles and successes and hopefully motivate? In the meantime I purchased 100 Days of Weight Loss which has a task for each day from 1-100. It was intended for beginners, and by that time I'd lost 20 pounds on my own and didn't consider myself a beginner. I'd also quit Calorie Count by the time I started the journal. I felt I had a knack for what I could eat. Soon I was feeling moody again and restarted Calorie Count with a different name, solely for the forums and to hear from other people about their stories. Eventually those were making me more upset. Too many stories about people not needing to lose weight but still getting down on themselves. I often felt like their depression in a better situation than I was in, only made me more upset about my appearance and weight. So I stopped calorie count all together.

Over the summer I don't want to say I lost track...I didn't read or journal anymore. I didn't eat the best. I worked out daily (excluding weekends) until mid-July when I only went to the YMCA occasionally. I don't want to make excuses. But I stopped going right around the time my iPod was stolen. That really is when I lost track for one reason or another. By the last three weeks of my summer I didn't go to the YMCA at all, except for a bike class twice a week. But I'd even stop putting much effort into that. We got a puppy and I was eager to get home to her and play with her. I chose her over exercise. But I don't see a problem with that. Over the summer--be it fat, muscle, or both--I lost 6 more pounds. I haven't read 170 on the scale since mid-July, and I'm very satisfied with that.

I heard about Daphne Oz while watching The Doctors. She was overweight in her childhood and early adulthood, and she too lost weight when she went to college. At this point I'd realized I got the fitness stuff figured out more or less. But eating right has been a challenge. So I invested in her book The Dorm Room Diet. I am also back on calorie counter to count my calories, and I'm blogging instead of journaling this time around. I have a full journal of entries I can go back to for support. The remaining 85 days of 100 day weight loss to tackle here and there, and Chicken Soup that will never get old as long as I take a break from it occasionally.

I like to be informed and aware that I'm doing this right. Something is going to click for me eventually. I know I can't ignore my success, or that in a way something already has clicked. But though things are getting easier, I'm still finding it difficult.

No comments:

Post a Comment